October 18, 2022
BC Cancer is seeking a motivated data science professional to work with our cancer surveillance team in generating applications to disseminate cancer information and data to end users around the province. You will work with analytic team members to generate code pipelines in R to estimate measures of cancer burden in the population and prepare the release of these analytic tools and products via web-based applications. This is a short-term placement until the end of March, 2023 with extension possibility.
Title: Junior Data Scientist
Start Date: as soon as possible
End Date: March 31, 2023 (extension possible)
BC Cancer provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of BC in partnership with regional health authorities. Data and Analytics is a department within BC Cancer that provides analytic support to the diverse group of clinical, operations and research programs across the organization. Our team includes a diverse mix of analytic skills with backgrounds in epidemiology, statistics, data sciences, business analytics and intelligence and engineering. A core function of our team is to generate information about cancer in the population of BC to motivate research, plan future care, monitor cancer risk and mortality in the population, and evaluate cancer control programs in the province.
• MSc in Data Science, Statistics or a related discipline. Current students that otherwise meet qualifications who are able to commit to a reasonable number of weekly hours would be considered.
• Experience with developing and working with the Shiny (R) data visualization platform
• Deep fluency with and cultivation of modern coding practices in R (building complex functions, tidyverse, R markdown, documentation, project management in Rstudio)
• Experience with key software development frameworks (version control, unit testing, modularization) an asset
• Experience with collaborative software development (GitHub) an asset
• Experience in Java Script, CSS an asset
• Experience generating creative data visualizations that inform and engage broad audiences
• Interest and experience bringing high-level customer experiences to dashboards and web products that rely on thoughtful design and aesthetics
• Able to work effectively with other analytic team members.
• Effective communication skills
• Careful attention to detail and validation of products.
This position is able to work remotely or an office environment can be provided.
For more information please contact Ryan Woods, Director, Data and Analytics, BC Cancer; email@example.com